January 18, 2009

Four legged Family

This is my Great Grandmothers cat Charlie.  I guess technically that makes him my Great Uncle.  Great Uncle Charlie the cat.  That is a mouthful!  So I got to visit Great Uncle Charlie when my Mom and I went to Colorado to visit for Christmas.  Shauna told me that many years ago, she was visiting my Great Grandma.  She has always been an animal lover.  She had neighborhood cats and squirrels and birds that would all come to her big yard and find different treats just for them.  Shauna sat at her kitchen table and listened to her talk about how much she would like to have a dog of her own, but she was afraid they might need too much attention.  Then she mentioned a cat, but she didn't think she should get one, because what if something happened to her, what would happen to the cat?  She had a picture in a calendar on the refrigerator of a little orange kitten that she thought was just the cutest thing.  My Mom knew she would be back in Colorado in a matter of months, and decided that if my Great Grandma hadn't gotten a cat of her own, she was going to get her one.  She checked with quite a few places until she found someone that said they had a little tabby cat.  He was only a few pounds, but he had a huge voice, meowing all the way to his new home.  Any thought of 'if this doesn't work out, we'll have to take him to California' disappeared immediately when they got to my Great Grandma's house.  Shauna still laughs when she thinks about how my Great Grandma came out of the house, grabbed the mewing box and ran inside with it without even saying a word to her.  By the time she had followed her in the house, there was no separating the little ball of fluff from his new mother, and it has been that way ever since!  And a good thing too.  It was not long after that that Uncle John found me, and well, you know how the rest of that story goes.  Karma...  

No comments: